Vision Finance For Better Eyecare
The holidays are fast approaching, which for many people means increased time spent outdoors. More exposure to sunlight can damage your eyesight, so it’s important to take the necessary steps to protect your eyes and vision finance from MediFin can help. In this article, we look at the risks of UV exposure, how to look after your eyes and what vision finance can be used for.
The Risks Of UV Exposure To Your Eyes
Ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun can cause serious damage to your eyes. Prolonged exposure to UV rays from the sun has been linked to various eye conditions, including:
- Cataracts – progressive crystallisation of the lens of the eye
- Photokeratitis – burning of the cornea which is part of the refractive system in your eye
- Macular degeneration – the gradual fatigue of the macula, the point to which light is refracted
- Skin Cancer – development of cancer in the eyelid and surrounding skin
While your eyes are excellent filters of harmful rays in most cases, when repeated, unprotected exposure occurs, these eye conditions and ailments may appear without warning.
Can Eyes Recover From UV Damage?
Many eye conditions can be treated while some may even heal on their own. Common conditions such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism can often be treated with corrective lenses prescribed by an optometrist or ophthalmologist.
If you act fast and with proper treatment, even certain trauma to the eye is treatable, including minor cuts and damage as a result of physical contact. However, damage to your eyes from sun exposure is not that easy to treat. Unfortunately, the retina, cornea, and macula generally remain permanently damaged but the good news is, you can avoid this kind of damage through simple preventative measures.
Top Tips For Better Eye Care
It’s important to take good care of your eyes to ensure your vision does not deteriorate faster than it should. By following best practices, you can avoid most eye conditions and here are a few tips on how to do that.
- Wear sunglasses every time you go outdoors and make sure they are UVB- and UVA-blocking
- Look for shade when possible, especially during peak sunlight hours between 10 am and 4 pm
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat to shield your face from direct sunlight
- Avoid looking directly at the sun and other bright sources of light
- Use goggles when going for a swim as chlorinated water and salt and other contaminants in the ocean could wash away the protective tear film
- Avoid wearing contact lenses when swimming as they can trap bacteria which may result in a corneal infection
- If you have allergies or tend to get dry eyes, use eye drops to keep them lubricated
- Eat a healthy diet rich in antioxidants and fatty acids, which can help protect your eyes
- Wash your hands regularly to avoid contagious conditions such as conjunctivitis
- Take regular breaks when working on a computer screen and don’t sit too close to any monitor
- Make sure you get enough sleep as tired eyes can also feel dry and irritated and rubbing them can introduce irritants or bacteria
From Prevention To Vision Finance
The best thing you can do to protect your eyes is to take preventative measures, such as wearing sunglasses and taking regular breaks from looking at screens. However, if eye damage has already occurred or if you require corrective lenses, MediFin’s vision finance can help. With affordable payments, you can get the eye care you need, including the following:
- Eye tests or exams
- Prescription Glasses
- Optometrist Appointments
- Dry Eye Treatments
- Contact Lenses
- Laser Eye Surgery
- PRK (Photo Refractive Keratectomy)
- LASEK (Laser-Assisted Sub-Epidermal Keratomileusis)
- and more
Not everyone understands the importance of regular eye tests as they can help detect diseases early on including glaucoma and macular degeneration. What many people may not know is that regular eye tests can also identify certain health conditions such as diabetes, cholesterol and high blood pressure.
Benefits Of Vision Finance
Many medical professionals, including optometrists who are in the MediFin directory, provide patients with affordable vision finance. This means they can help patients focus more on their health rather than trying to find a way to pay for prescription glasses, contact lenses or Lasik surgery. Here are some of the benefits of vision finance from MediFin:
- Vision finance is available from as little as R1,000 up to R100,000
- Medical loans are paid out to optometrists within 24 hours
- Patients can get instant pre-approval and receive the necessary funds faster than waiting for medical aid to decide whether it’s covered or not
- Vision finance does not require patients to show collateral or pay any form of deposit
- In many cases, MediFin’s vision finance offers better options and rates than credit cards
- Patients can use the funds to pay for other medically related expenses
How To Apply For Vision Finance From MediFin
Medical expenses can be a significant financial burden, especially when it comes to unexpected eye care costs. With affordable vision finance from MediFin, you can pay for your medical treatments with flexible payment plans that suit your budget.
Vision financing from MediFin can help you get high-quality eyewear that protects your eyes from UV radiation, not to mention laser eye surgery (Lasik surgery), optometrist appointments and eye tests.
To apply for vision finance from MediFin, simply complete the online application form and you’ll get an instant pre-approval decision. Once approved, the funds can be transferred into your account within 24 hours so you can get the treatment or the protection your eyes deserve.